Monday, March 9, 2009

FIVE MINUTE EASTER EGG MIRACLE

Five Minutes to Fame and Fortune – an Easter Egg gift to you

This is the five minute Easter Egg miracle. Last night my son was starting a journal entry for an English assignment on Othello. Something about writing a love letter to Desdomona….

I suggested he use a technique taught to me by Steve Manning. Steve taught me that you could write an article in 5 minutes, using just about any idea – in his case he used three randomly chosen words.

It worked. Everyone in our How To Write a Book in 14 Days class completed a short piece, yes, in five minutes!

Since then I have used the same approach many many times with incredible results. Sharing it with you is a special pleasure.

The idea is, take anything you can think of that you want to get done, get into or get on with. Then sit down and for five minutes, by the alarm clock, start writing and keep writing. Do not let the pen leave the page or you fingers stop punching the keys if you are writing electronically, as I am now!

The results are nothing short of amazing. Simple, eh? You bet!
It works.

Procrastination is a real killer. I just completed a customer letter that was due back a while. It took me a little more than five minutes but the five minute idea got me started. He was delighted to hear from me and we are back on track and in business with a mini-project in the works.

Innovation pays. I wanted to send out a contact letter to my clients, and wanted to do it for a while. I applied the 5 minute principle and wrote it. Then, what do you know, one of my colleagues said he wanted to test his new distribution system and sent it for me. $15,,000.00 in orders later I was smiling – it was simple and was appreciated.

Each day I commit to innovation and writing about what I am doing. Getting a job done, fixing the BarBQ or something, and it works out.

New Ideas become action and reality. The five minute miracle means I can write down my idea and keep it safe. I don’t need to worry about forgetting it because the really key stuff is on paper and I can take it where it needs to go when I am ready.

The 5 minute Easter Egg miracle is: challenge yourself to write about what you are thankful for in your life right now. Write for 5 minutes and remember, what makes it work is you keep writing until the alarm goes off!

Cliff Sutton

416-930-6165, www.getsalesconnected.com/ csutton@self-management.com

1 comment:

  1. I Love the Title and the article. Wow, in five minutes you can write an article. Focus, no outside distractions and timer on! Thanks for the "How to Write a Book in 14 Days" link and great information.

    ReplyDelete